2019 Meeting 23 July

Category: Committee
Published on Monday, 13 July 2020 09:43
Written by Super User
Hits: 175

BRITISH FENCING

ENGLAND FENCING

 

SUSSEX FENCING UNION

COMMITTEE MEETING

DORSET ARMS, LEWES

 

MINUTES OF MEETING

23 July 2019 7.30pm

Present: Brian Causton (BC), Jim Whelan (JW), Will Miller (WM), Cheryl Deamer (CD), Dom Pitman (DM), Maggie Maynard (MM)

                      

  1. Apologies for absence     Gordon Mankelow
  1. Minutes of the Last Meeting and Matters Arising

The minutes of the last meeting were accepted.

  1. BC noted, regarding the previous decision to buy an ARM-5 scoring box, that a possibility had arisen to purchase a box via a grant. The One Family investment group offers grants for clubs, including larger grants of up to £25k. A large grant would allow the region to hosting technologically modern competitions – and thereby attract competitors. As representative of all Sussex clubs, it might also be possible for a central grant to provide equipment to clubs via such a grant. Clubs would be emailed about their priorities for equipment. (Action: BC)
  2. BC noted that he was still investigating the possibility of adding a signatory to the current account.
  1. 2019-20 County Fixture List
  1. Dates for the fixture list were as follows:
  1. Hall bookings at potentially at cheaper venues are to be made (Action: CD)
  1. Sussex Open 2019
  1. The competition is to be held on 30 Nov-1 Dec 2019 and will be six weapons. Actions are as follows:
  2. Pistes and boxes. It maybe possible to use Kent’s pistes and boxes. WM noted that Jane Clayton had mentioned the possibility, although they would need to be picked up and returned from Mallard Fencing Club, Canterbury, on a Monday night. Otherwise, WM was happy to drive to Leon Paul if these were not available. MM said she would check with Peter Huggins about pistes and boxes. (Update – Peter Huggin is happy to loan boxes, but not pistes.)
  3. Registering the competition. (Action BC)
  4. The entry method is to be AllEntries. MM noted that AllEntries will check the BF numbers of competitors before the event. WM will point website entry to AllEntries.
  5. Hall hire. CD will confirm with Portslade.
  6. Advertising: MM would amend an earlier Sussex Open Flier and Distribute. WM would put on the website once the hall hire is confirmed (CD & WM). MM would advertise on Facebook and elsewhere.
  7. Referees: CD will arrange closer to the date.
  8. Armourer: CD reported that Andy would only be available on Saturday, but Theresa on both days. Dave Lichfield will be asked to also come along - at the Chichester Open (MM)
  9. TD: Oliver Smith has been pencilled in.
  10. Refreshments: cakes and fruit etc will be brought along (CD).
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. Work on getting a dual signatories is ongoing (Action BC), noting that putting cheques is proving increasingly difficult as banks close branches. BC promoted the use of the Square app and gadget to take online payments.
  1. Website

1.1     The payment system has been disaggregated, and a page currently exists pointing to a competition: this also means that the contacts data is not lost and a full replacement of the site is not necessary.Further updates to the site are on-going (Action WM

  1. Any other business
  1. CD noted that she had sent several hundred pounds to Tim Schofield from the BYC entry fee and asked whether that was enough for the SE Region Budget, but had not received a reply. WM noted that the SE Treasurer role was still in transition – Tim was still to hand over the bank account etc to WM. CD noted that over £2000 had been sent to BF from the BYC events.
  1. Meeting closed at 9.30 pm.

Will Miller

Hon. Sec. Sussex County Fencing Union

PROGRESS AGAINST ACTIONS

Date

Action

Progress

23/7/19

Email clubs about their equipment needs, in preparation for a One Family grant (BC)

 
 

Find and book venues for the 2019-20 fixture list (CD)

 
 

Confirm dates for the 2020 County Foil events (CD)

 
 

Fulfil requirements for the Sussex Open as per minutes (ALL)

 

19/5/19

Arrange an online account with dual signatories (BC)

 

9/4/19

Email clubs about reciprocal membership arrangements (WM)

30 April 2019: Clubs emailed. Nil response. No interest.

9/4/19

A fixture list should be prepared and presented to the AGM. (CD)

23 Jul 2019: Fixture list to be discussed at Committee meeting.

9/4/19

The website would be upgraded. (WM)

30 June 2019: Entry system taken out of website. Menu used to link to Sport80/AllEntries. Key factor is to keep emails, which is linked to the entry system – MailChimp has some.

Apr 2019: BC provided a link to Allentries, showing how the Vet’s website had integrated.

Apr 2019: WM consulted with a Wordpress developer.

24/10/18

Subdivide formal Secretary roles to offer to people at the next AGM. (WM and JW)

Proposal created for discussion at the 9 Apr meeting.

Complete: Roles agreed at the 9 Apr 2019 meeting

24/10/18

Present a profit/loss analysis of each competition to the next AGM (BC)

9 Apr 19: BC explained that it would be difficult to unpick the profit/loss of past competitions, but would do so on a rolling basis after the 2019 AGM.

08/07/18

Produce a PDF of competitions and calendar. This would be put onto the website (JW and WM)

9 Apr 19: this task now comes under the remit of the Competitions Manager.

08/07/18

Send the competition calendar as mailshot (WM)

9 Apr 2019: A link would be sent to a fixture/info list.

24/07/18

Acquire a further competition level scoring box (BC)

9 Apr 19. Meeting confirmed that a Favero ARM5 model was needed.