Sussex County Fencing

2020 Meeting - 21 December







21 Dec 2020 19:00

Present: Brian Causton (BC), Jim Whelan (JW), Will Miller (WM), Cheryl Deamer (CD) Dominic Farrer (DF), Maggie Maynard (MM)

  1. Apologies for absence: None

  2. Minutes of the previous meeting and outstanding actions

    1. The last committee meeting minutes were accepted.

  1. Actions arising:

    1. BC informed the meeting how he had applied for a grant to purchase a high-end scoring box for the county. The grant was not successful.

    1. JW reported how a list of names was circulated by email for the award of County Colours: Jamie Briggs; Harry Gray; Isaac Jolley; Chiara McDermott; Rosie Whittacker; Ingrid Heskett; Brian Causton. In addition, colours were to be awarded for administrative services to Cheryl Deamer.

    2. WM suggested the committee recognise Jim Whelan for the decade-plus of competition organisation and office-holding he had volunteered. He also put forward Maggie Maynard for the decade of organisation of the Chichester Open, a well-respected Sussex competition.

    3. The committee approved all names put forward for the County Colours award.

  1. Restarting Competitions after Covid

    1. Discussion was held about the most efficacious way to restart competitions, whether to hold all weapons on one day, or over a weekend, and when to hold the team events. School exams, from May to early July, is a factor that will affect the junior events.

    2. The committee agreed to discover the number of fencers in Sussex clubs. The age groups, other than seniors, is: U12, U14, U16. The number would impact on planning. MM agreed to prepare a survey to be sent to clubs. (Action: MM)

    3. The most favourable date for a combined competition would be the 3/4 July weekend. Gordon Mankelow would be approached about holding the competition on a Sunday at the Lewes gym, although it was possible that the club may have beginners classes. (Action: DF) DF explained he had list of appropriate venues in Sussex and if necessary could explore the possibility of holding elsewhere and over the entire weekend. (Action: DF)

    4. The Sussex Open would be scheduled for the last weekend in November 2021.

  2. Signatories

    1. BC explained that he is setting up an online NatWest account and, in additional to himself, needed signatories. These would be: DF; JW, and; WM. BC to arrange. (Action: BC)

  3. AOB

    1. MM notified the committee that she was on the Commonwealth Games planning committee, which is to be held in London in 2022. WM reminded the committee that all veterans are entitled to fence.

    2. BC noted that British Fencing is offering grants for a club “restart” and club officials should take advantage of such funding as appropriate.

Meeting adjourned.






MM to prepare a membership numbers survey to be sent to clubs.



DF to speak to Gordon Mankelow about holding a combined county event at Lewes, and/or source another venue for 2/3 July 2021, ideally for an entire weekend.



Put forward fencers for potential award of County Colours (All)

9 Jul 2020: CD resent an email including several names.


Arrange a committee meeting in Sept-Oct 2020 (DF)

Meeting held in December 2020.


Source a trophy for the U16 Team Foil (JW)

9 Jul 2020: An U16 trophy for epee has been found. Other trophies need to be engraved.


Arrange an online account with dual signatories (BC)

9 Jul 2020: the committees agrees to remain with Natwest. Action closed.

30 Nov 2019: Committee agrees to change banks to the Metrobank.

22 Dec 2020: Action reopened. BC to arrange additional signatories for a NatWest online account.


A fixture list should be prepared and presented to the AGM. (CD)

23 Jul 2019: Fixture list to be discussed at Committee meeting.


The website would be upgraded. (WM)

30 June 2019: Entry system taken out of website. Menu used to link to Sport80/AllEntries. Key factor is to keep emails, which is linked to the entry system – MailChimp has some.

Apr 2019: BC provided a link to Allentries, showing how the Vet’s website had integrated.

Apr 2019: WM consulted with a Wordpress developer.


Present a profit/loss analysis of each competition to the next AGM (BC)

9 Jul 2020: Few county competitions were held due to Covid.

9 Apr 19: BC explained that it would be difficult to unpick the profit/loss of past competitions, but would do so on a rolling basis after the 2019 AGM.


Produce a PDF of competitions and calendar. This would be put onto the website (JW and WM)

9 Jul 2020: Competitions Manager position is vacant.

9 Apr 19: this task now comes under the remit of the Competitions Manager.


Send the competition calendar as mailshot (WM)

9 Apr 2019: A link would be sent to a fixture/info list.


Acquire a further competition level scoring box (BC)

9 Apr 19. Meeting confirmed that a Favero ARM5 model was needed.

30 Nov 19: Brian has put in a grant application for a top end box.

21 Dec 2020: BC reported grant was not successful.